Welcome to Goreaon Vipassana Center
Introduction to Vipassana
Vipassana, which means to see things as they really are, is one of India's most ancient techniques of meditation. It was taught in India more than 2500 years ago as a universal remedy for universal ills, i.e., an Art Of Living. For introduction to Vipassana meditation technique, please see what is Vipassana.
The technique of Vipassana Meditation is taught at ten-day residential courses during which participants learn the basics of the method and practice sufficiently to experience its beneficial results. There are no charges for the courses, not even to cover the cost of food and accommodation. All expenses are met by donations from old students, who, having completed a course & experienced the benefits of Vipassana, wish to give others the opportunity to benefit from the technique. Description and timetable of a typical ten day course is available in the Code of Discipline.
About the Center
The Goregaon Vipassana Centre is a Vipassana meditation campus situated within the city of Mumbai, at Goregaon East, near Gokuldham colony. It conducts Vipassana Meditation Courses in the tradition of Saygyi U Ba Khin as taught by Shri S N Goenka.
The campus is situated in a ground plus 5 storey building spread over an approximate area of 11,000 sq ft.
Facilities at the Centre now include:
- Main Dhamma Hall on 5th Floor with air conditioning and sound proofing so that students get a conducive atmosphere to practice seriously.
- Accommodation in rooms as well as in common halls on the 1st to the 4th Floor. The rooms have attached toilets. These are usually shared accomodation. However experienced Old Students can be given individual accommodation subject to availability.There are also common bathroom and toilets on each floor with hot water supply.
- A Dining hall on the ground floor serves vegetarian food during courses.
- A small walking area is available on the ground floor.
- Lift is available for the main building to access 1st to 5th floor.
- Keeping in mind the requirement for old students to get a place to strengthen their daily practice, a new air conditioned Dhamma hall has been constructed on the space above the new building containing the Kitchen. It is behind the Centre building and is accessed through a small wicket gate in the front. This Hall is being used for Daily Group Sittings and One Day courses. However, there is no lift available for this Dhamma Hall.
Goregaon Vipassana Centre conducts residential 10-Day Vipassana courses as taught by Shri SN Goenka. It also offers facilities for Vipassana Meditators to strengthen their practice by way of daily group sittings, short refresher courses of 1 Day and 3 Day duration. Click here to register for all types of courses
Introductory Anapana Meditation sessions - these are introductory sessions for those who want to learn aboout Vipassana Meditation and try a 10 min practice session. It is held on request for vistors to the Centre. You are welcome to visit the Centre any day between 9 AM to 7 PM for the same.
The Centre also serves as a training centre for MCGM school teachers under the MITRA program
Getting there - The Centre is a few minutes’ drive from Western Express highway.
- Turn left on WEH after Oberoi Mall signal when coming from Borivali or take a U turn under the Oberoi mall flyover if coming from Andheri.
- Take BEST route 347 or 447 from Goregaon Station East and get off at Doordarshan colony or Lakshdham school stop.
- Take BEST route 345 from Charkop via Malad Station, West & East and get off at Hanuman Naka which is close to the Centre.
Address: Goregaon Vipassana Centre, Opposite Lakshdham School, Mohan Gokhale Road, Gokuldham Colony, Goregaon (E) Mumbai 400063
Location - https://goo.gl/maps/om6Kug8XFmZ7Vcwf7